The Indian gaming market was valued at USD 1.02 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 4.88 billion by 2026, casting a growth rate of 20.83% CAGR over the forecast period 2021-2026. India is expected to become one of the world’s leading market destinations for the gaming industry, and one of the reasons behind it is the nation’s young population.
If you want to tap this market and make a career in this, take up a B.Des or Bachelor of Design programme.
About BDes Program in Game Design?
It is a three-year undergraduate course focused on the design and art of animation and games. This course covers the fundamentals of game development, including strategy, creativity, and execution. B.Des game design and development also involves advanced technical skills and coding languages. Candidates will also encounter a variety of tools and processes, including level and map his editors, databases, proprietary scripting languages, and design documents.
With the continual development of the game industry, the market is rapidly increasing the demand for efficient game designers and developers. B.Des program in game design provides a medium for acquiring relevant skills and knowledge. Candidates will learn game and animation programming fundamentals, 3D modelling, storytelling, 3D modelling and animation, storyboards, and graphic design.
Eligibility Criteria for Video Game Designing
BDes Game design and development admission criteria vary from university to university. Candidates must meet the conditions set by the Institute before applying for a degree. Below are the parameters applicants applying for admission to BDes Game Design and Development must meet.
- Candidates must obtain an overall score of 60% in their 10+2 final examination from a recognised board.
- If candidates have completed their 3-year Diploma from the 10th grade they will be considered eligible to apply for admission to the Design and Development course.
- Certain colleges waive minimum grades for reserved categories.
- Some popular colleges require an entrance exam for applicants to enter their BDes Game Designing and Development course.
Entrance Exams for Video Game Designing Course?
You can take up game development courses after 12th, but you have to clear an entrance exam before taking admission to any of the institutions. Here are the popular entrance exams in India.
- NID entrance exam
- UCEED, NIFT entrance exam,
- Pearl Academy entrance exam,
- MITID DAT,
- UPES DAT,
- WWI entrance exam,
- D- ART – Scores, and more.
A total of 262 Game Design colleges offer game design courses in India.
Skills Required for Online Game Development Courses
Following skill sets to pursue a career in Video Game Design.
- Immense passion for gaming
- Creativity & Imagination
- Awareness of gaming platforms & technologies
- Knowledge of coding language
- Organisational skill
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong visualisation skills
- Drawing skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of software programming & graphics
- Ability to think systematically & strategically
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Good interpersonal & communications skills
Scope for Video Game Designers in India
- The gaming industry is filled with a huge variety of games. Creating multiple opportunities in the game industry as they continue to experiment and develop new game designs for all ages.
- The gaming sector offers ever-increasing employment opportunities for its professionals. And by studying for a bachelor’s degree. Helping students get ready to enter such a safe career in game design and development.
- The course helps to learn-.
- Game mechanics
- Creating various audio features
- Creating animation programs,
- Using 2D and 3D animation software
- Scripting languages,
- Map editors,
- Databases and document creation
Also, there are some of the key game design and development tasks that students master through this course. The game design courses aim to learn new software design, animation, and programming techniques.
Committed to ensuring that students stay updated with technological and industrial advancements and can master any challenge in the practical field. The animation, multimedia, and entertainment industries greatly demand gaming professionals. After completing their studies, professionals are ready to work in these areas.
Where Can I Study Game Design in India?
Listed below are some colleges offering BDes Game Design and Development courses:
- IIFA Multimedia – Institute for Interior Fashion and Animation, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Global Institute of Gaming and Animation – GIGA.Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- ICAT Bangalore, Bangalore
- Jain University, Karnataka
- Amity University, Punjab
Job Prospect and Salary of a Videogame Designer
BDes Game design and development students can pursue a job or a college education based on their preferences. After completing a course, many opportunities knock on applicants’ doors. You can earn a salary of ₹1,76,000 to ₹20,00,000 per year. Here are some of the job roles that require BDes game designers.
- Experience designer
- Gameplay programmer
- Game designer
- Level scripter
- Freelance game developer
- Content developer
- Game modeller & texturing artist
- Interface artist
- Game tester
- Art designer
Best Game Design Companies/Recruiters in India
Below is a list of India’s best game design companies/recruiters.
- 99 Games, Karnataka
- 2Pi Interactive, Hyderabad
- CreatioSoft, Noida
- Aper Games, Mumbai
- Dhruva Interactive, Bangalore
- Games2win, Mumbai
- Geek Mentor Studios, Noida
- GSN Gaming, India
Here are some of the software an aspirant needs to master to become his game designer.
- Adobe Photoshop
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Mudbox
Game design is an interesting career and offers a competitive pay package. But if you plan to pursue this career, choose the right college. Also, Sunstone can help you get a good placement after your course completion. Sunstone is a leading higher education service provider, which helps you get access to hundreds of hours of training modules. In-demand industry relevant skills and soft skills & life skills.